Monday 2 March 2015

March 2th 2015

Writing Practice
Task 1:

Prepositional Collocations: Complete the sentences below with the correct verb or adjective followed by an appropriate preposition (e.g., for, to, with, about).

thank
apply
 inform
respond
inquire
upset
interested
complain
invite
sorry
concerned
apologize

1. I would like to ........apologize.......my absence at the meeting.
2. I am ......concerned......the lack of supervision in the playground.
3. I am writing to .........complain........the poor service I received at your store.
4. I am very ........sorry       for       .. not being able to meet the deadline.
5. We would like to ........invite......you.....for............ the ABC Company’s open house on Saturday, June 16 at 1:00 p.m.
6. I am writing to ..........apply  ......you the new budget proposal.
7. I would like to take this opportunity to ....thank...you ...for.....  being a loyal customer over the years.
8. I am .....updet..for........... finding out about the training programs that you offer.
9. I am very .....respond.....the way I was treated by one of your admin staff.
10. I am writing to.......thank for..................... the position you have available.
11. I am ...........interested...............your advertisement in the Globe and Mail on June 3, 2009.
12. I would like to ........ inquire........the position of Sales Manager that was advertised in the Kingston Whig Standard on September 31, 2010.

Task 2:

Pick one task only:
1.    Write a formal invitation for a group function (such as a company picnic, BBQ or potluck).
2.    Write a letter or email to a friend to describe feelings about a new home town, English class or job.
3.    Write a personal message to cancel an appointment. Express inability to keep the appointment, disappointment, and offer an apology.

     Dear Ms Wu:
            I'm sorry for telling you that I must cancel the appointment next Monday,because I must look after my kid in my home for his teacher will be absent next week.But I also want to make an appointment next Sunday at am9-pm3.Please email the time as soon as your possible. I'm really sorry for broken your schedule. I'm waiting for your reply.Thanks a lot.

4.    Write a personal note of sympathy to someone who has experienced a loss.

Task 3:

Ask two of your classmates to proofread your writing for you before you publish on your blog. Make sure to write their names as follows: ''Edited by:.........and ....................''

No comments:

Post a Comment